Thursday, September 29, 2011

Balancing Life Physically: Exercise!

My fitness instructor friend of 25 years (who also leads the fitness session in my seminars) admitted when we were walking one day that she craved exercise. I confessed that I craved chocolate – but worked daily on my fitness.

I know what is best for me, usually. Doing it is another thing. So how do we get ourselves on board?

Discipline is a learned behavior, not a gift. I have worked on my own discipline for years to work out in order to enjoy better health. Truthfully, times have waxed and waned. I’d much rather play golf, thank you. But discipline is the key to balance, and it is instrumental to achieving our goals, whether in fitness, work or life.

So what's the plan? If you can find time first thing in the morning before the demands of the day begin, exercise is a great way to clear your mind and start the day off right – with balance. I walk vigorously and use that time to meditate. If you’re a multi-tasking type like me, walking meditation is a great way to enjoy the benefits of exercise and meditation at the same time.

Finding your balance physically is important to finding balance in life. I do it daily while meditating and sometimes dreaming of . . .  chocolate.